Friday, December 11, 2009

Meghan's 30th Birthday

The weekend of the 5th we began a long celebration of my 30th birthday. On Saturday, my Mom and Dad came down for the afternoon and for a yummy dinner at Alexander’s.

On Sunday, Ryan hosted a party for me, with friends coming over to hang out, watch some football, eat, and play a little Beatles Rock Band. It was a perfect day, casual and relaxed, and Ryan did pretty much all the work! I didn’t get a lot of pictures, but I did get a cute one of Patrick and his friend Henry:


Tuesday, my actual birthday, was a wonderful and strange day. First thing, Ryan got up and made me a hot breakfast croissant sandwich – yum! I headed to work, looking forward to a relaxing birthday dinner with my boys. I was very excited because after years of worry, Ryan finally had a doctor’s appointment to discuss his sleep/snoring issue and it happened to fall on my birthday. What a gift! I was thrilled when Ryan called after his appointment to tell me that the doctor referred him for and scheduled a sleep study in January. Hooray!

Anxious to get the issue under control, Ryan called the sleep center to see if he could get in sooner (say, this insurance year!) They confirmed that his appointment was the soonest available, but they would gladly add him to the long cancellation waiting list and would call if an appointment opened up.

A few short hours later, Ryan and I were back on the phone – the sleep clinic called and had a last-minute cancellation. Ryan was the first person to answer and was offered the spot for that night. After making sure that I wouldn’t be upset (not an unreasonable concern!) he accepted the spot.

So, the home cooked dinner and a relaxing evening with my hubby was replaced by a super quick celebration – which Ryan still made incredibly special. I received a bouquet of 30 gorgeous roses, a couple of wonderful gifts, and a cards from both Ryan and Patrick (Patrick signed his himself!) We ate a quick dinner of pretzel dogs before Ryan was headed to the hospital. I wasn’t thrilled to be spending my actual 30th birthday alone, but I had trying to get him in for a sleep study for years. It was bittersweet that it finally all came together on my birthday.

The best part? The sleep study quickly concluded what we had all suspected, that Ryan has severe sleep apnea. He will be receiving a CPAP machine to use in the near future. As soon as he does, I’ll post a picture! What a birthday gift!!

But wait, there’s more! Thursday night at our usual Guadalajara after bowling dinner, I got the whole sombrero on the head, whipped cream on the face treatment. (I’m sure there are pics of that somewhere, but I’m pleased to say I don’t have any.)

We’re not done with the birthday celebration quite yet, but there were a couple of things that happened in before the final celebration. In the interest of chronological accuracy, I’m going to skip that last one for now.

No comments: