Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Back to Reality

Last Monday, I went back to work and Patrick started day care. The first morning was a bit rough, to say the least. Since I start work so early, Ryan will be dropping Patrick at day care, but for the first day I arranged to go in late to work so that I could go with to drop Patrick off. I kept it somewhat together at the day care – until I hit the parking lot, where I fell apart. I got it together after a few minutes, but fell apart again about halfway to work. At work I was a trooper, only calling once to check on him, although I confess I worried all day. Work was a good distraction, with everyone welcoming me back and wanting to see pictures, which I was more than happy to share.

Tuesday got off to a rough start – I managed to get up on time and was making every attempt to get to work on time, but just as I was about to walk out the door, Patrick woke up hungry and crying. Although Ryan was there, I didn’t have the heart to leave my crying baby and stayed to feed him. On Wednesday I finally made it out the door on time, letting Ryan and Patrick start getting into their morning routine, and we’ve been a well-oiled machine since. We seemed to have settled in now, just in time to move and shake things up, of course!

Patrick has adapted really well to day care. As the littlest one there, there is never a shortage of people wanting to hold him and play with him, which of course is fine with him! He also loves watching the other babies in his room. I’m sure as he gets older, he’ll learn to love it even more.

I haven’t adapted quite as well. I love most everything about my job, and know that I’m very lucky for that. I work with some fantastic people and enjoy what I do. And still, nothing compares to my Patrick (sorry work!). It breaks my heart to leave him and I miss him every second of every day. I have tons of pictures on my desk, but on the rougher days I have to turn them because even looking at him makes me cry. People keep telling me it gets easier, and I hope that it will. I just wonder how people that hate their jobs do it - if it is this rough for someone that loves her job, I can’t imagine what it’s like if you don’t like your work. Geez.

After a rough week of adjusting to daycare / work, we had a fantastic weekend...but I'm so pooped today that i can't keep my eyes open to tell you about it. I'll update this tomorrow or Friday, with more pictures, I promise.

No comments: